Detail of sandstone masonry

GBCA’s technical expertise on exterior masonry repairs was among the reasons for an Honourable Mention being awarded to the Artscape Youngplace / former Givins-Shaw Street Public School at the Heritage Toronto Awards handed out on October 13, 2015.

The award was presented to Artscape who had commissioned Teeple Architects (Architect of Record), GBCA (Heritage Consultant), Clifford Restoration and CPE Structural Consultants Ltd. (Contractors) to undertake the transformation of the former school building into a community arts and culture facility. The building’s rehabilitation was completed in 2013 allowing for 75,000 square feet of space devoted to artistic inspiration, learning, growth and expression.

The former Givins Street Public School (as it was known prior to 1966) was designed in 1914 by the Superintendent of Buildings for the Toronto Board of Education, C.H. Bishop and was the fourth building on the site. The grand Beaux-Arts style building is clad with red brick with brick band courses and piers. Red sandstone was used for the raised base, band courses, cornices, spandrels with laurel wreaths and swag motifs, and door and window surrounds. Conservation work included the stabilization of the deteriorated sandstone cornices and window sills.

For more information on Artscape Youngplace see their website.  And for more on this year’s Heritage Toronto awards, click here.