21 Jan 2010
History revealed at the Guelph City Hall
As part of the transformation of the Guelph Civic Administration Centre, GBCA was retained to renovate the historic City Hall. Once complete, the mid-nineteenth century building will house the Provincial Offences Court.
When erected in 1856-57, this impressive civic building was multi-functional, combining a market, fire hall, police office, jail, assembly hall and council chamber all in one structure. Designed by the well-known architect William Thomas, the Renaissance Revival stone building is imposing with its pedimented central frontispiece, Palladian window, vermiculated voussoirs and quoins, and ornamental keystones.
As part of the transformation, the original grandeur of the interior spaces are being documented and/or restored, most notably in the former assembly hall and Council Chamber, which had, since the 1960s, been hidden by wood paneling and false ceilings. Wood wainscoting, plaster mouldings and pressed metal ceilings are just some of the architectural details of note.
GBCA Architect, Ida Seto, was recently interviewed by the Guelph Tribune about the exciting discovery, during construction, of a painted mural and other fine details in the former council chamber.
To read the article in the Guelph Tribune, click here: http://www.guelphtribune.ca/news/article/200666